At Cornfield School the Religious Education department follows the Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education in West Sussex with the following principle aims.
To teach Religious Education so that children may:
- Acquire a knowledge and understanding of the origins, content and development of the Christian religion and of other religions, their traditions and beliefs.
- Understand the importance of religious experience and recognise the ways by which these experiences have been interpreted and express through a variety of religious traditions.
- Appreciate the contribution that religious and spiritual ideas and concepts can make to their personal search for meaning and purpose in life, enabling them to develop their own spiritual values.
- Look beyond themselves and recognise the contribution of religion in the establishment of relationships and responsibilities in the family, among friends, in schools, the community and the world at large.
- Explore the consequences of religious belief and experience in the development of personal attitudes.